www.flickr.com

Thursday, June 08, 2006

East to West - The Summary


  • 12 days
  • 4704 miles
  • 14 States of the Union
  • 204 gallons of gasoline
  • 1 speeding ticket
  • 4 National parks
  • 3 movie shoot locations
  • 1 bird casualty
  • 100,000 insect casualties (estimated)
  • 17 mosquito bites
  • Lots and lots of pictures
Unfortunately, due to a lack of internet connectivity and probably more so, sheer laziness, days 7-12 have now been summarized in the above statistics. To be honest, while there was a lot to see between New York and Dyersville, Iowa, I think the best parts of the road trip took place during that second half of the drive. It was there that I drove the completely remote and deserted two-lane roads that you imagine a cross-country road trip to entail. It was there where you run across the natural beauties, and oddities, that exist between the man-made wonders of the US.

And while I'd like to say that the Grand Tetons or the Badlands were the best part of the trip, as cliche as it is, the destinations were really just stopping points and the journey itself was the part I enjoyed the most. If I were a slightly older and wiser man, I'm sure I would find the parallels with life. Alas, I'm closer to being old than wise so I'll just leave it that the road trip was awesome and that I would highly recommend anyone and everyone do at least part of this trip if not all of it. And of course, see and do what you can, but don't forget to enjoy the ride along the way. The end comes quicker than you think.

2 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger gw said...

just surfed in. very cool trip. i had blogged about mine 2 months ago. i did 12 days...LA to memphis to chicago to nyc!

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Peter said...

Thanks. Just hopped over to your blog. Funny, almost exactly the same time I left the UWS, you moved up there. -1 Californian, +1 Californian. All stays balanced.

And in case you haven't found out that it's a small world of Californians in NY, surfing a bit on your blog, I noticed one of your road trip stops was to Boston where you met up with BigVic whom I've worked with for some time now. Small world I tell you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home